Books for sale
Thomas Sanderson’s Account of Incidents: The Edinburgh Musical Society 1727–1801 and its impact on the city
by Martin Hillman
Edinburgh society – Edinburgh’s enlightenment – Edinburgh’s musical tastes and trends – the detailed organisation of concerts and musical events – plus the building of St Cecilia’s Hall – all part of the history of the Edinburgh Musical Society during its 74-year existence, 1727 to 1801
Detailed research by Martin Hillman in the Society’s records and the newspapers of the 18th century, plus the enormous archive of Gilbert Innes of Stow, sheds a fascinating light on Edinburgh and its culture as it developed from a slightly lost former seat of government into an intellectual and cultural powerhouse
A companion volume to The Temple of Harmony – see below
Available now, pre-launch price, £14 plus post and packing.
Buy Thomas Sanderson along with Temple of Harmony for the reduced price of £20 plus post and packing. Full pricing details here.
The Temple of Harmony:
A new architectural history of St Cecilia's Hall, Edinburgh
By Joe Rock, Martin Hillman and Antonia J Bunch, published by the Friends of St Cecilia's Hall and Museum, Edinburgh, 2011 Perfect bound, 62pp.
Using new research by Joe Rock, The Temple of Harmony looks in detail at the antecedents, building and development of the second-oldest concert hall still in use in Europe. The book looks at 18th century public music in Edinburgh, the city's Musical Society, for whom the hall was built, and the Incorporation of Wrights and Masons, which ran the capital's building trades. It details the building of and improvements to the hall, as well as its decline. The story is then brought up to date as the building is used as a masonic hall, church, and school, split into shops and small business premises and a pub, becomes a dance hall and is returned to its original use by the University of Edinburgh in the 1960s.
A New Musick Room
Written by Jane Blackie
St Cecilia's Hall was built by the Edinburgh Musical Society, the first purpose-built concert hall in Scotland , in the early 1760s. Blackie traces its history as a music room, chapel, masonic hall, school and dancehall until it was taken over by the University of Edinburgh nearly 200 years after it was built.
Making a Spinet by Traditional Methods
Written by John Barnes, (Published by Mac and Me, Welwyn, England, 1985) Paperback, 56pp
John Barnes was a harpsichord maker, restorer and collector and formerly Curator of the Russell Collection. This booklet provides guidance for woodworkers who have not previously attempted to build a keyboard instrument and is comprehensive enough to be of value to anyone who is making early keyboard instruments. It is illustrated by 24 line drawings showing techniques for making soundboards, bentsides, keyboards, jacks and tuning pins, and it covers methods of stringing and quilling.
This book is based on the 1715 instrument by Stephen Keene and Charles Brackley. The technical drawing that John Barnes and others made of the instrument is available from the Friends (TD 15) and buyers of the drawing are offered the book at half price. The keyboard instrument technical drawings sales page is here
Within a Mile of Edinburgh
Keyboard variations and rondos based on Scottish songs, as performed on the Delphian CD Within a Mile of Edinburgh
Within a Mile of Edinburgh and Rosline Castle with The Lass of Peattie's Mill, JL Dussek; Loch Erroch Side and The Banks of Doon, Domenico Corri; Busk Ye, Busk Ye, John Ross; Sic a Wife as Willie Had, P Urbani; The Yellow-Hair'd Laddie, JC Bach
Musical supervision by John Kitchen
The CD is also available: see the CDs page
St Cecilia's Hall Museum of Instruments: The Guide
Compiled by Sheila Barnes, published by the Friends of St Cecilia's Hall and Museum, Edinburgh
Out of print. A new version is intended but there is no date.
The catalogue of historic musical Instruments in the Edinburgh University collection is also available for purchase.
If you live in the UK go here.
if you live elsewhere go here.